The Local Government now known as Efon Local Government has a long history of metamorphosis that dated back to pre- independence Nigeria. This is evident in the fact that the former Ekiti West District Council which was created in 1955 had its administrative headquarters in Efon Alaaye. Later for what was purely ascribed to administrative convenience; the District headquarters was moved to Ijero Ekiti in 1973 after 18 years.
Sequel to the creation of Local Governments in 1976, Ekiti West Local Government was created with headquarters in Aramoko Ekiti. Efon Alaaye belonged to the Local Government. History again was made when Efon Alaaye as a result of its quest for a local government was (later) granted Efon Native Authority in 1981.
At last, reprieve came on 4th December, 1996 when Efon Local Government was created with the headquaters in Efon Alaaye. The Local Government shares boundaries with Ijebu – Ijesa in Osun State in the west, Erio Ekiti in the east, Esa – Oke in Osun State in the north and in the south with Ogotun Ekiti.